ByTanya George, married with a 7 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. She left the corporate world to start Bright Young Chefs, a party venue that offers kids the opportunity to create exciting meals, by experimenting with colours, textures and flavours.
Not sure how to keep the kids entertained during the upcoming holidays? Well here’s a fun baking activity. In keeping with my Holiday club theme “The Circus is coming to town”, how about making edible clowns.
- 1 Ice cream cone
- 1 marshmallow
- 1 box of smarties / your favourite sweeties
- 2 tbsp of Icing sugar
- 3 tbsp of water
- Marie biscuit or Any biscuit of your choice that is bigger than the ice cream cones bas
Add 2 tablespoon of water to 3 tablespoons of icing sugar and mix until smooth. Optional: Add food colouring. Place mixture into a piping bag.
- Cut the ice cream cone in half. Top piece will be used as the hat and bottom as the body
- Spread the icing onto the biscuit, place the body part of the cone onto the biscuit
- Fill the inside of the cone with smarties/sweeties
- Pipe the icing onto the edges of the body (top part of the cone)
- Place marshmallow on top
- Pipe icing on to the top of the marshmallow and place the hat (bottom part of the cone)
- Pipe icing dots on the hat and place smarties/sweeties on each dot to decorate the hat
- Pipe icing dots on the marshmallow to make eyes and mouth then add a smartie/sweety
- Go crazy add more sweeties to decorate if you wish
Its not so much about cooking or baking but really about the creativity, thinking and valuable time spent where the lessons of good inputs and processing producing a desired outcome which is a concept applicable throughout life from the smallest home project to the most complex business initiative.
And a little personal lesson I try to teach my kids is that doing something with love as the main ingredient can result in the most powerful outcome. My motto is to “Do EVERYTHING with LOVE”.
Click here to find out more about Bright Young Chef’s holiday program for the upcoming holidays.